Masterton Sunday 9 October 2011
Finally, the big day, that has been Gordy’s focus for the last ‘few’ years. This was not without trials and tribulations, pain and worry (and that’s only what Wendy suffered), Gordy turned 50 this year.
Race Report by David Green
The sun was strong and it was great conditions. Then in the distance a familiar figure was spotted, Gordy approached Wendy about 34Km into his race.
Gordy was looking good and strong as he approached the final turn up to the finish
And then IT WAS ALL OVER
A fantastic achievement 3:25:46
And the next is best to come with Wendy looking good and a strong finish
As we know, Gordy’s a man of stats and numbers and here is a few of them
In his 50th year Gordy has….
- Achieved entry to the Survivors club at Rotorua
- Completed his 99th ½ Marathon at Palmy
- 2nd in age group
- Competed in 27/29 Palmy’s
- 3 minutes slower in 2011 than in the first Palmy ½ in 1982
- Completed his 50th Marathon on Sunday 3:25:46,
- 1st in age group
- 14th overall
- 4:54 k rate (1:41, 1:44 splits)
- 30 years after running his first Marathon at Masterton in a time of 3:13 with club stalwarts Des Young and Tony Coard among others
- and will run his 100th Half Marathon in Hawkes Bay on Sunday 6 November 2011
This was the BIG 50 Gordy’s and summary stats are
- average time over the 50 Marathons is 3:10
- completed 18/50 Marathons under 3 hours
- PB standing at 2:32 from 1991
Gordy was a tad stressed the week leading up to the event with a hamstring niggle on Wednesday.
I asked him how he felt at the end of the race “Comfortable knackered I can’t believe how smoothly it went!”
An Ode to Gordie (a Haiku)
Statistician and fifty,